Kingston Bridge closed after John Lewis bomb threat

Kingston Bridge and Wood Street have been closed in both directions after police received a bomb threat in the area early this morning (Wednesday, October 28).

In an image sent to the Surrey Comet, an emergency services corden was seen on Wood Street in Kingston with Met Police and London Ambulance Service vehicles available. 

Responding to a request for comment, the Met Police confirmed that they had received a bomb threat and closed Kingston Bridge and Wood Street as they addressed the issue. 

“At approximately 09:47hrs on Wednesday, 28 October, police were contacted by a department store at Wood Street, Kingston where a bomb threat had been received.

“The store has been evacuated and London Ambulance Service are in attendance as a precaution. There have been no reported injuries.”

“A number of closures, including Kingston Bridge, are in place while officers search the premises. Enquiries continue.

“This incident is not believed to be terror related,” a spokesperson for the Met told the Surrey Comet. 

Kingston Council meanwhile confirmed that the department store impacted by the bomb threat was John Lewis. 

A council spokesperson urged residents to avoid the area: 

“This morning (Wednesday, 28 October), the Council was informed of reports of a bomb threat at the John Lewis department store in Kingston town centre.

“The store has been evacuated and cordoned off, and a number of road closures are in place, including Wood Street and Kingston Bridge. Please avoid the area until further notice.

“Our residents’ safety is our priority and we are working closely with the Metropolitan Police, London Ambulance Service and other authorities while investigations continue.” 

In a later update, police said they had reopened the roads after conducting a search of John Lewis: 

Surrey Comet | Kingston